Do you ever feel like everything in life is out of your control? Do you wonder how to get your life in order?
Disclaimer: If you purchase from any of the products I’ve linked below, I’ll earn a portion of the sale. You can read the full disclosure here.
A lot of my anxiety stems from the feeling that I have little control in my life. Over the years, I’ve found that focusing on what I can organize and control helps me cope.
Because – let’s face it – we need structure as humans. Loss of control is one of the hardest things for us to face. You better believe that my anxiety spiked this spring when life was upheaved by the coronavirus. I’m willing to bet that it gave you a little anxiety, too.
When I have high anxiety, there is a lack of meaning in life. Calming my anxiety by ordering what I can in life increases my quality of life.
Take a heart inventory.
One very interesting thing that I’m learning about is the concept of “loves in order” developed by St. Augustine. He says that we become happy when our loves are rightly ordered or in line with our moral values. For example, I love my boyfriend, coffee and God. Morally, I believe that I should love God first, my boyfriend second, and coffee third. If I love my boyfriend more than God, I am unhappy. If I love coffee more than my boyfriend, I am unhappy. Taking a heart inventory on what loves I am prioritizing versus what I WANT to prioritize is very useful.
I also put together a list of several other things to do when your life feels out of control and you just need SOMETHING to hold on to. These help me, so I pray they help you too.
Here are 52 ways to get your life in order today:
- Make a to-do list
- Have a designated place for your keys
- Prepare for the morning (set out your clothes)
- Make your bed
- Recycle old papers
- Buy a new face wash
- Say ‘no’ when you need to
- Do a life audit – reflect on your personal and professional goals
- Prioritize what brings you peace
- Forgive yourself (easier said than done – get help here)
- Keep moving forward
- PRAY at the beginning of each day & ask God for help
- Buy some new workout gear – it’ll motivate you to workout!
- Put your loves in order
- Take the next right step (you can get help here)
- Cut back on unnecessary activities
- Clean out your fridge
- Get up early and focus on your daily tasks
- Reestablish healthy eating habits
- Practice breathing exercises
- Spend more time in nature
- Buy a cute bra… for some reason I always need another.
- Have a place for everything
- Write down three most important tasks for the day
- Ask yourself what truly makes you happy
- Dream about your ideal life and take one concrete step towards it
- Establish an effective skincare routine (my one-step fav)
- Write down three things you’re grateful for
- Journal about your day
- Cut back on sugar intake
- Read a good book
- Go for a bike ride around town
- Do your hair and makeup just for fun
- Visit a new coffee shop
- Get your nails done
- Go through your medicine cabinet and clean it out
- Schedule an appointment with a counselor
- Take the Strengths Finder test
- Add vitamin pills to your diet
- Exercise your brain with Sudoku or a crossword puzzle
- Learn a new language
- Change your toothbrush
- Take a nap!
- Drink a tall glass of water
- Confront problems head-on and have that difficult conversation
- LAUGH – it’s the best medicine
- Make a budget – Dave Ramsey is the best.
- Donate clothes that you no longer wear
- Volunteer in your community
- Set up appointments that you’ve put off
- Start a book club
I could go on and on and on about the things that make me feel like I’ve got my life in order. My personal favorites are getting my nails done and putting God first by praying at the beginning of the day.
What are a few things you do? Share with me below!